The Assumption Parish Clerk of Court is now offering a free service that allows couples to apply for a marriage license online anytime from the
convenience of their homes.
Apply online in 5 easy steps:
1) Visit the website listed below
2) Enter the information for both parties
3) Enter the generated security code
4) Click SUBMIT
A screen with your confirmation number will appear. Take your confirmation number with you to the Parish Clerk of Court’s office for final processing.
Marriage license requirements
A marriage license may be issued in any parish, regardless of where the ceremony is to be performed or where the parties reside. The completed license must always be filed in the parish where it was purchased. One party can apply for the marriage license as long as they have all the information for both parties. You can use the link below to fill out the application.
- 18 years or older, parental consent is not required.
- A minor sixteen or seventeen years of age may not enter into a matrimonial agreement without judicial authorization and the written concurrence of his father and mother, or of the parent having his legal custody, or of the tutor of his person.
- Beginning August 1, 2019, no marriage license for a minor under the age of sixteen shall be issued. No Marriage license for a minor of the age of sixteen or seventeen shall be issued where there is an age difference of three years or greater between the persons seeking the marriage license.
Application Form; Information required – (RS 9:224) Documents Required (RS 9:225)
- Application must contain all information required on form prior to purchasing the marriage license.
- Applicants must provide both Social Security numbers if born in the United States. If not born in the US or territories, the applicant(s) must present a valid passport from their country of birth or a visa with attached I-94 form.
- A current driver’s license, current state ID or passport.
- An original birth certificate or original birth card for both parties. The birth certificate must be translated if not in English; must include sworn declaration of translator. If not born in the US or territories, the applicant(s) must present a valid passport or a visa with attached I-94 form. If a certified birth certificate cannot be produced, a waiver must be presented in accordance with LA. R.S. 9:228.
- If either party has been divorced, the individual must provide a certified copy of the final divorce decree. A widow or widower must provide a certified copy of the death certificate of the former spouse when they apply for a license to marry.
- Covenant Marriage Declaration (if applicable)
- Fees of $32.00 payable by cash, check, money order, or Credit/Debit cards accepted. License is $27.50 and $4.50 is for a certified copy mailed back to you. All fees are Non-Refundable.
24-Hour Waiting Period
- A 24-hour waiting period is required by law between the time of issuance of the marriage license and the ceremony. The license can be purchased up to thirty days in advance. The license is good for 30 days from the date of purchase and must be used by that time. No Refunds on unused/expired license.
Note: The Assumption Parish Clerk of Court’s Office issues Birth Certificates and Birth Cards, if born in Louisiana dating back to 1914. We can also issue Death certificates starting from June, 2013.